Friday, July 1, 2011

Recipe: Spicy Chickpea Hummus with Flat Bread

So, I've been looking for filling, healthy snacks to try and I've heard a lot of good things about hummus. I've never really been a fan of hummus—most of my experiences with it involve a school dining hall or restaurant buffet, and it's either chalky and flavorless or it's watery. However, one of my favorite restaurants from college had a black bean hummus and chickpea hummus dish on their menu that I tried once at a tasting and really enjoyed, so that gave me hope that I could come to like it. Obviously, the jarred stuff and the junk turning grey next to the dressings at the salad bar are not what a "hummus beginner" should be eating, so I thought I might like it if I made it myself. I found a recipe by Rachael Ray here (not my favorite TV personality, and I'm not a fan of her abbreviation "EVOO," but she's made some tasty stuff), and after a few alterations, I whipped it up and it turned out great!

Prep time: 5-10 minutes
Cooking time: 7-12 minutes (for the pita/flat bread chips), no cooking necessary for the hummus 
Difficulty: Easy

Ingredients

For hummus:
  • 1 (15 oz.) can of chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained
  • 2 tbsp. tahini sesame paste, or 1 tbsp. each of sesame seeds and sesame oil
  • 1/2 tsp. ground cayenne pepper
  • 1 tsp. ground cumin
  • 1 tsp. ground coriander
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 2 tbsp. lemon juice
  • Salt, to taste (I used a dash or two)
  • 1-2 tbsp. olive oil

For  pita/flat bread chips:
  • Pita or flat bread of your choice (I used Schwebel's Old World Flat Bread - Wheat)
  • Olive oil
  • Black pepper
  • Salt
  • Garlic powder or garlic salt
  • Ground cayenne pepper
  • Oregano

Directions
For the hummus: Combine all of the ingredients together in a food processor and blend into a smooth paste. Transfer to a small dish and serve with pita/flat bread chips, vegetables, or other "dippers" of your choice. Refrigerate any leftover hummus.
For the pita/flat bread chips: Preheat the oven to 400* F. Combine a dash of each dry ingredient in a small bowl with olive oil and brush onto the pita/flat bread. Place on a baking sheet and bake in oven for 7-12 minutes, until slightly crispy. Pull or cut bread into pieces to create chips and dip them into the hummus.

This hummus is very filling and so flavorful. The ground cumin, coriander, and cayenne add spiciness and intense flavor, and the lemon juice helps lighten and brighten the taste. Served with warm pita chips and crisp veggies, like orange and green peppers, and it's the perfect snack!

1 comment:

  1. This sounds awesome. But if you want some amazing hummus that is homemade and Greek-licious, check out "The Greek Gourmet" in Squirrel Hill. You will not regret this.

    ReplyDelete